05 August 2010

Military working dog: recovering after war trauma related stress

I had contact with military working dogs at the base in San Antonio and while in Iraq. It was amazing to see the unconditional dedication the animals had to their duty. Equally impressive was how close the relationship was between the dogs and their trainers and handlers. At the 332 Air Force Theater Hospital in Balad, we witnessed first hand how military working dogs suffered physical trauma in the war zone. However I hadn't considered the behavioral and psychological effect on dogs.


Here is a very interesting article from Huffington Post about Gina, a military working dog who served in Iraq who shows behaviors with some of the characteristics of PTSD.




As I read the article, I was pleased to see the effort that was going into helping this dog recover. I hope that every veteran who is suffering after service gets the same effort and concern.


(Source: AP via Huffington Post)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, Thank you for your interest in my blog. I welcome all comments, but please keep it safe for all viewers.